A Filcro Media Staffing TV Network Director Broadcast Engineering Executive Search Review
Director TV Network Distribution
Network Operations and Engineering Technology
Based New York City, NY - USA
Search Firm Filcro Media Staffing / Filcro Sports
Officer in Charge Tony Filson
Reporting to Vice President Network Operations Engineering
Client Major TV Network
Division Broadcast Operations and Engineering Technology (BO&E)
The Vice President of Network Operations and Engineering had been searching for a Director with exceptional IT skills for over six months through other resources and was pressed to identify a candidate that met all the advanced technology criterion required for the Network's future global distribution to stations, station groups, affiliates, MSO’s, Satellite, OEM, Mobile and wireless partners for digital and RF distribution.
The immediacy of SPORTS and NEWS distribution and the associated cross-platform, multichannel dissemination and interactive monetization channels offered particular challenges.
Filcro Media Staffing had conducted prior executive searches for Manager, Director and VP level technology and engineering staff in the past and made the TV Network aware of an opportunity, that could be to the Network's advantage. Working on multiple engineering and information technology executive searches at Broadcast, Digital and Cable TV Networks allowed the Network to capitalize on O&D charting and succession plans the Filcro Media Staffing was aware of.
Industry and Sector inclusion
- Network Television Broadcasting - Engineering and IT
- Cable Television Broadcasting - Engineering and IT
- MSO Distribution - Engineering and IT
- Radio Network Distribution - Engineering and IT
- Satellite Network Broadcasting - Engineering and IT
Filcro Media Staffing - The Recruitment Solution
The Filcro Media Staffing Officer in Charge of Search - Tony Filson (TF) identified, recruited and attracted the TV Network technology candidate(s) to meet the following criterion:
- Design, implement, and manage transmission plans for television sports events worldwide and guide IT project management for implementation.
- Supervise the installation of complex broadcast systems and software for remote broadcast and telecommunications facilities.
- Evaluate the most cost effective, reliable, and appropriate method of transmission routes and services operating in a zero tolerance-for-defects environment.
- Hire, train, and manage IT and engineering technical personnel and transmission service providers.
- Generate detailed budgets and quotes and approve and monitor spends to ensure financial goals
- Execute technology-driven project management (PM) responsibilities for implementation and operations guidance
- Coordinate the analog to digital and UHD/HD conversions of remote satellite backhaul and fiber optic transmissions; including cost analysis, vendor selections, equipment procurement, and integration.
- Manage fiber network connectivity between the Network, studio, and broadcast origination facilities.
- Work with internal departments and cross-functional teams on installation, activation and maintenance of new and existing circuits.
- Manage the Disaster Recovery Plan fiber infrastructure project.
- Manage the annual budget process for the operating, staff travel, IT, expense, and capital budget lines for the Transmission and Broadcast Operations departments. Track and report variances.
- Create, compile, organize, and analyze key technical data and operational trends.
- Provide business analysis, reports, and recommendations to improve business and operational efficiency.
- Assist with long term strategic planning and new technologies research, traffic and facilities scheduling, vendor negotiations, and Network staff training.
- Maintain long-term contracts database of vendors and personnel.
- Provide information and analysis in response to technical inquiries for the global fleet of satellites and launch dates for new birds.
Challenges facing the new (BO&E) Broadcasting Operations Director
- Locating resources internal and external to the organization to work in a cooperative manner, on time and on budget with non-fault tolerant 365/24/7 broadcast infrastructure.
- FCC Reporting
- Negotiating competitive business terms with IT and Broadcast vendors and clients
- Reviewing current operating expense statements, analyzing costs and developing new financial structures for advanced broadcast and IT technology
- Maintaining the accuracy of the delivery inventory and resources across multiple media IT and broadcast platforms.
- Negotiating lease cancellations, subleases and contracts for idle delivery assets to be leveraged toward future delivery needs in line with bird launch dates and fiber infrastructure.
- Change Management
- Training and associated work-flow documentation
- Best Practices
- Advanced (IT) technology implementation that integrates all platforms globally
- New CODEC adaptation and “development” across multiple platforms for distribution partners to include satellite, MSO, OEM, NOC, Telecom, OTT and Stations’ interests.
Tony Filson as OIC, Identified, recruited and attracted a "best in industry" broadcast operations and engineering executive who was currently engaged and working in an advanced technology Network distribution environment of one of the Network's closest competitors that had implemented many of the technology upgrades and had (PM) lead on future technology planning.
Filcro Media Staffing completed the search assignment ahead of proposed schedule and under budget.
The broadcasting technology executive has made a smooth transition to the Network and has proven to be a valuable asset in Network global distribution and advanced technology surrounding the organization's broadcast operations and engineering divisions.
Filcro Media Staffing
Global Sports Media and Broadcasting Executive Search
295 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10017
212-599-0909 T |